306th Bombardment Group Museum
One of the original brick-built buildings used for the storage of Small Arms Ammunition now houses the 306th Bomb Group Museum.
Here it is, shown on the original layout of the Airfield.
Identified as Building “156”
When in 1946 the Airfield was rebuilt to provide the flight research facility for the Royal Aircraft Establishment, part of Galsey Wood was removed, a new roadway was laid and the building, which is now the Museum, was exposed. From that day to this, the Wood has been kept as a Nature Reserve.
Thurleigh Museum was opened on the 27th July 2002 by Dr Jonathan Palmer who owns the Bedford Autodrome, the current use for the original Airfield, Dr Jonathan Palmer donated the building and to this day we are truly grateful we can still hold the memorial and artefacts to the 306th BG on this site.
The Museum with the RAE building number “185” being handed over to founder Ralph Franklin.
The Museum today, with Galsey wood as the backdrop.
After the passing of Ralph and his wife Daphne, the Museum was reopened on the 5th May 2019.
We look forward to seeing you, discovering new things together, and honouring those that served in the Air and on the Ground.